Friday 2 March 2012

Sow flowers today (after 2pm!)

Its a flower day on the bio dynamic calendar after 2pm today, (its a root day before that) confusing, I know.
I'm finally getting round to sowing sweet peas, french Marigolds, blue poppies, foxgloves, verbenas, perennial lobelia, apple of Peru, and snapdragons. If you only have so much space inside or on the propagator read the

Blue poppy, Knockpatrick, last summer


 backs of the seed packs to figure out which ones don't need heat to be brought on. Most hardy annuals can be sown and left outside under cover to germinate , half-hardy annuals need more heat. Its a right juggling act here taking things out of the propagator and putting more in trying to be as efficient as possible, complicated by my other half's love of exotic seeds(taking up a whole windowsill propagator at the moment). At least the bloody melon pears have germinated, and now thankfully the frangipanis too. Some of these can take months!! Grrrr

PS; I originally planned to sow sweet peas and other flowers this Sunday but then I remembered about the fancy dress party tomorrow and realised that maybe Sunday wasn't such a great day after all. For those of you who will be clear headed on Sunday it is still a good day!!!

2 comments:

  1. hi marie, i'm very curious to see how you get on with your foxgloves as you know i've found them hard to germinate....even using a propagator.....have just bought my sweet peas too for this weekend and what else....o yes, some phlox this year....

    Cant wait for that pic of you in fancy dress next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eliza!
    funnily enough I met an ex student today who managed by accident/skill/beginners luck to grow the most perfect foxgloves from seed a few years ago.

    She was good enough to share them with the class and they were outstanding. I have some here and watched them self seed in summer on the surrounding soil so heat, and the tiny seeds not being covered is really important. I also noticed they thrived in a bag of ericaceous compost that was nearby!

    me in fancy dress-scary, I will email you a pic though...

    ReplyDelete