Monday 7 May 2012

Maincrop spud companions

seedling were a good size for transplanting-hope the bunnies don't spot them!
Over the weekend mass evictions continued for seedlings badly in need of transplanting. Although most of the salads I sow are cut and come again varieties I do love some crisp heads of cos lettuce for Caesar salads so I always sow some, but overall they are a small portion of the greens we grow. As the potager (how posh am I?!) out the back is packed with flowers, many thanks to Heather for the poppies and calendulas, and salad leaves it was down to the main garden I had to go. The tolucas I sowed this week are going to be a few weeks before they break soil so in the spirit of "meanwhile use" I put three rows of baby cos"Paris island" in the space between the two spud rows.If you are just putting in main crops consider using the space this way to get the most out of the bed while its still empty. You can sow radishes too but most people are more enamoured with salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment