Wednesday 9 May 2012

Lunatics with strimmers

May the month of luxurious summer growth
Sorry about this but its a pet hate and I must get this rant out of my system!
The other evening while out for a walk I met Aoife on her horse who warned me that there was a game of road hurling going on between Old Pallas and Nicker. I don't know about you but I never heard  of road hurling in my life so I headed straight for it to see what I was missing!

At the Junction in Nicker two old boys were manning a "road closed" sign in reflective jackets. Just as I got to them the heavens opened and they jumped into their cars. I ploughed on and no one stopped me, so I figured this road hurling musent be too detrimental to my health! A few cars passed too, so maybe the "road closed" was a bit half-hearted. Up beyond the hill I met my first "team" an ould lad in a reflective jacket and a few young lads with Hurley's and sliotars. I can't for the life of me figure out how the "game" was being played but after I passed one young lad got the nod and belted the sliotar off down the road with the ould lads watching intently. I could be wrong but I thought he had a stopwatch too. I passed one more "team" before I got to old pallas, turned around and headed back.

the roadside below Nicker, beautiful and un-cut!
OK here comes the rant! on the way back I noticed that someone had shaved the sides of the roads in honour of this great sporting event. So both sides of the road from old pallas down to nicker were bare. This really annoyed me! May is the month of so many wildflowers, including cows parsley, wild Lillie's, wild vetch, all of which play a huge role in feeding pollinating insects and especially wild bees. Bad enough wild plants are practically extinct in fields and gardens but the tiny margins that sustain so much life are just callously cut down by ignormasuses with strimmers for one hour events like this or usually because some ould lad with a strimmer wants to "tidy up the place" Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................let the fecking plants grow, let them set seeds, then cut them down!! Jesus!!

OK rant over.


No comments:

Post a Comment