Thursday 23 February 2012

You cant eat a view

Maybe we are incredibly cynical as a nation, or just witty in a morbid kind of way. I remember going to see a beautiful derelict farm up in the hills in Bilboa a few years ago. It had 20 good acres on a soft southern slope meeting a river in the valley below. It had never known a bagged fertiliser and the fields were awash with wildflowers. I definitely had stars in my eyes taking in the fabulous view beyond to the distant hills when I was interrupted by Jack saying to the neighbour "its a fine view..but you cant eat a view!" That took the romance right out of it I can tell you, suddenly I was thinking about rebuild costs and REPS schemes.I sobered up and went home!

I may not be walking my land like the high kings once did but even a commoner can walk the roads to appreciate some fine local views.Today after a good stretch of the legs up the hill to Nicker village I kept going up the next hill towards Old Pallas.At the top of the hill, the sun shining, and a local farmer trying to run me over didn't deter me from stopping to appreciate the view. I thought you might too so I took this picture.

excuse the cattle crush-you are out the country

No comments:

Post a Comment