Monday 30 January 2012

Spuds

I have been shopping and thanks to the kind voucher from my friends in Fedamore I am now rich in potatoes for planting. Three varieties of the first earlies are chitting away on the kitchen dresser with a fourth lot waiting to join them. I'm going for small quantities of different varieties this year to keep the eating part interesting. I'm even trying...shock..horror..a salad variety. What next? I'll never pass the Irish citizenship test if I keep this up!

First Earlies;
Home Guard, Red Duke of York, Epicure, Sharpes Express

Second Earlies;
British Queens, Catriona, Charlotte (salad potato)

Maincrop;
King Edward, Black Bog, Maris Piper, Tibet and Toluca.

The lads on Ellen street told me about toluca. Like tibet its blight resistant. Its mexican and supposedly gives huge tubers with great flavour.After last years debacle with the mayan twilight that became a refugee camp for eel worms I can only hope this is a better bet!

Chitting; eyes up, bright place, no direct sun, 6 weeks before they are to be planted.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Marie
    Where did you get the Tibet. I got a few from Seedsavers but was looking to buy more.

    The blog is a great idea as I am liable to forget what to plant and this will remind me of what I should be at.

    Chris
    ex Ardagh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris!
    I hope you got my reply, I dont see it here which is worrying!!!
    No my tibets came from ISSA too. I think I will have to refrain from eating them all to build up stocks. Great to hear from you, would love to hear how the garden is doing!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete